Sunday, December 1, 2013

Mixed Fruit Jam

I decided to make my own jam instead of buying one from the store. This is a very simple process and I used the fruits that were available with me.


Ingredients
Strawberries - 2 bowls
Apples - 1
Grapes - a bowl
Bananas - 2
Lemon - 1
Sugar - 2 cups

Preparation
Use a blender and grind all the fruits (except lemon) to a fine juice consistency. I had 5 cups of the mixed fruit juice that I used for my jam. Extract the juice of 1 lemon in a cooking pan. Add the sugar and let it simmer over low heat. Once the sugar has kind of melted, add the fruit juice and let it cook over medium heat. The juice will boil for a while and will reduce in quantity.

Meanwhile place an empty porcelain plate in the freezer. Once you feel that the boiling juice is thick, remove the plate from the freezer and pour a little bit (size of a coin) on to the plate. After a minute or so, run your finger through the juice on the plate, thereby cutting it into two halves. If the two halves combine together, then it means that it needs to boil more. Repeat this process a few times till the two sections no longer combine and stay separate. Switch off the heat and pour the thick juice into glass bottles and let it cool. Store in a refrigerator only when the bottle has cooled down completely.

Enjoy your home made jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment